Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The holidays are coming, the holidays are coming!

So we're T-minus three days until Santa comes. I'm ready to get on with it. I'm ready to spend Christmas eve with much-loved friends, begin our wrapping extravaganza that night, and tear everything open the following morning. The kidlets are going to be excited, they're getting a Wii. The artsy daughter is getting a creative caddy—I've filled a crafting caddy with all sorts of crayons, pencils, markers, glue, glitter, you name it. The Son is getting a remote control truck just like his daddy's. It's going to be a great day. Daddy already got his gift, a new receiver for the tv. What's Mama gettin?

A Cadillac. Yep. Mama's gettin a Cadillac for Christmas.

Wait, before you question how old I really am, know that Cadillac is really revamping their image. They have some really sharp cars out now. I'll be sporting an SRX. It's the crossover/SUV. It's beautiful. Not the one I wanted, as I wanted the CTS sport model with a 6-speed manual (NOT the CTS-V; it's a great car, but would be roughly $500 more a month for me to drive, between fuel consumption, insurance and payment increase), but the Husband wanted me in an SUV again. Truth be told, we need the room with the kidlets and their respective activities. We need something comfortable to ride in. And a quiet vehicle to travel in. Roomy. This thing has a moonroof that feels like a convertible when open. And despite being a "girls' car," she actually has the boy motor, the 4.6 V8. My favorite part? Navigation. Oh, to not be lost and anxious!

My Saab was an amazing car, but it's time to let her go. With the announcement last week from GM to shut down Saab, it's value plummeted. Even though it's got EVERY option available. She has over 106K miles on her, needs new tires, a full set of brakes and rotors, and the entire rear end needs to be dropped to fix her leak in the axle. Oh, and we're leaking oil from somewhere. So, add that all up, and the necessary repairs are now costing more than half of her value. And in reality, if she breaks next week, we're up a creek. She served us well for three years. Now she'll go to auction.

In honor of bringing home a Cadillac, I must share this oldie-but-goodie. But don't worry, I won't disgrace her with gold plating and all that crap.

It's My Cadillac (Sorry, embedding not allowed on this one.)

I do still think my rendition of "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" being "Mama's gettin a Cadillac for Christmas....only an SRX in black will do...." is way better. The Husband thought it was funny as I sang it to him last night as he was falling asleep.

No comments: